Posted on January 11, 2011
6th Februry 2011.
2nd Grand Prix race.
Entry form: Marazion_10k_entry_form_2011(1)
South West Cross Country Championships
Sunday, 9 January 2011
The South West Cross Country Championships were held last Sunday in perfect sunny conditions on the beautiful but challenging lakeside course at Bicton College in Devon. Competing for Cornwall against top athletes from across the South West were two junior members from Gyllyngvase Surf Life Saving Club.
In the U15 girls event, Issy Steele scored an emphatic win to add to her recent victory at the Cornish Championships. Strategically holding position on the shoulder of the early leader, Issy stepped up to take a commanding lead after the first circuit and continued to pull away from the field for the rest of the race. The impressive result was especially notable since this was only Issy’s second competitive cross country race.
In the U13’s, Charlotte Emsden ran a brave race finishing well within the top half of the field.
Both girls are now looking forward to the Cornish schools event in two weeks time and hopefully to selection for the National Championships in Birmingham on 5 March.
Words and pics by Hugh Emsden
Well done to all who took part in the 3rd annual Iceberg Challenge on New Years day. It was certainly lot colder this year, with a chilly 4 degress (usually 9-10). Most people lasted around 10 seconds, but the winner were Charlie, Izzy and Michelle who stayed in the freezing waters a fantastic 20 minutes!
We even made the front page of the West Briton. (06.01.11)
The fifth Penzance Triathlon is taking place on Sunday, 3 April 2011 at Penzance Leisure Centre – entry form attached. Distances are a 400 metre pool swim, 15.5 mile scenic bike ride and 4 mile run (approx).
This event filled up very quickly last year so please get your entries in early as numbers are restricted to 100 by transition area space. There will be no entries on the day.
This event is open to anyone over the age of 17 as at the 31 December 2011. Please ensure that you put your estimated swim time on the form, but if you wish a particular start time due to prior commitments then please just let me know.
If you can’t take part then feel free to volunteer to marshal. A goody bag will be given to every marshal for their help on the day!
SUNDAY 12th June 2011 at 10.30 am
- Fun day for all Nippers from 7years upwards.
- Must hold Level1 SLS GB Surf Safety (or Dolphin 1) to take part in water events.
- All Nippers must be members of the SLSGB and clubs must be affiliated to the Cornwall Region.
- Each club to bring an appropiate number of Nipper boards for the members taking part, please make sure they are clearly marked with the club name, bring buckets and spades.
- Do not forget sun block and plenty of drink.
- This is a fun carnival and the children will be mixed into different teams of equal numbers. It will be good practise for the newer members wishing to compete in the Cornish Champs. We will need team leaders and help from members and parents to run the events, it will be helpful for members wishing to train as officials. Could you please complete the attached form with all the childrens names, age and membership number, there is no entry fee but we need to keep a record of all those participating.
- Please return the entry form by the 6th June, so that we know numbers expected.
- We will need help with water safety cover, please bring torpedoes and a rescue board, with enough helpers for the number of Nippers you are bringing.
- There is a a large National Trust car park in the village and then you need to follow the stream to the beach.
The beach is Lifeguarded by the RNLI.
Programme of Events
High Tide 15.00pm
10.30am Welcome, Sort teams and team leader
11.00am Tag team Wade
Mixed age groups (6 teams of girls, 6 teams of boys)
Area 1 – Girls Area 2 – Boys
Board relay event
Teams of: 2 runners, 2 swimmers, 2 board paddlers
Several races until all children have completed a race
2.0 pm Flags